Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Quick Marinara

Often times through my day I'm reminded that the best things in life are simple.

We're all in such a hurry with so much "stuff" to do that we leave no time for things that are important. Like cooking.

Almost weekly someone asks me which jarred spaghetti sauce I like the most. My answer is: none of them. If you turn the label of the most popular jarred sauces you will find a list of ingredients a mile long. A good many of them might even include olive oil!

When I point out my objections most people reply, "But I don't have all day to cook a sauce."

I say I doesn't take all day to make a good home made marinara.

Here is a great basic sauce by Progresso that only takes about 30 minutes.

1 TBSP olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Italian seasonings, crushed
dash pepper
2 TBSP red wine

In a large saucepan heat olive oil until hot. Add onion and garlic. Saute' until tender, about 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, Italian seasoning and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine. Simmer covered, for 5 minutes. Serve over freshly cooked pasta if desired.  Yield: about 4 cups.

One of the great things about making a tomato sauce is how good it smells. People will come running.

1 comment: